Bicycle Accident Statistics in California and Nationwide
Get Help from Experienced San Francisco Bike Accident Injury Lawyers
Many of the attorneys and staff at the Dolan Law Firm are bikers and cyclists themselves. As members of the motorcycle and cycling communities, we are committed to the safety of Bay area residents on motorcycles, scooters, and bikes. When serious injuries or deaths do occur after a cycle accident, we do our best to help you and your family put your lives back together and move forward.
At the Dolan Law Firm you will receive aggressive legal representation from caring and skillful attorneys. Contact us to schedule a free consultation at our San Francisco, Sacramento or Oakland law office.
The following statistics are summarized from a variety of sources, including the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the Pedestrian and Bicycle Information Center, and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.
Bicycle Accident Statistics
- U.S. Bicyclist Injuries in 2007: 43,000 (58,000 in 1997, a reduction of 26 percent)
- U.S. Bicyclist Deaths in 2007: 698 (814 in 1997, a reduction of 14 percent)
- California Bicyclist Deaths in 2007: 109 (only 4 states had higher death rates for bicyclists)
Who is More Likely to Be in a Bike Accident?
- The average age of bicyclists killed in crashes in 2007 was 40. The vast majority were male.
- 15 percent of those killed in 2007 were under age 16.
- The average age of bicyclists injured in crashes was 30. The vast majority were male.
- 28 percent of those injured were under age 16.
Risk Factors for Bicycle Accidents
- Alcohol was a factor in one-third of the traffic crashes that resulted in cyclist fatalities in 2007.
- Nighttime biking is much riskier than daytime biking.
Contact Our Lawyers
The attorneys of the Dolan Law Firm regularly help bicycle accident victims in California get the compensation they deserve. Our lawyers do all work on contingency, which means you are not charged a dime until you collect damages. Contact our attorneys today for a free evaluation of your case.
Local Resources for California Bicyclists
- California Bicycle Coalition (CBC): Promoting the bicycle for transportation and recreation
- Sacramento Area Bicycle Advocates: Improving the bicycling experience in Sacramento
- Sacramento Area Council of Governments (SACOG): Produces the Bicycle Commuting Guide, with links to bike maps and resources
- San Francisco Bicycle Coalition Dedicated to making San Francisco the most bike-friendly city in the nation
- Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition: Promoting the bicycle for everyday use
- Marin County Bicycle Coalition: Promoting bicycling for everyday transportation and recreation
- Responsible Organized Mountain Pedalers (ROMP): Mountain cycling advocates in San Mateo and Santa Clara Counties